25 Mar 2015

Evaluation Question 2

How effective is the combination of your main product and ancillary texts?

There are many similarities in my main product and ancillary texts that correlate with those of a professional standard. As a collective everything that I have created has had a running theme to help keep it to the theme and genre of indie rock. This meant sticking to the conventions such as the high use of black and the style of mise en scene. These rules were applied through research, planning and the practical tasks such as filming and editing. I also explored the ideologies of relationships, specifically teenage relationships.




Creating my main product was my first priority. This is where I began to create my own style within the indie rock genre. I began with creating storyboards of what I wished my final product would look like. Once this planning was completed and preparation was put in place ready to film I began to shoot my clips. During the filming stages I ensured that I had a vast range of clips to enable the best results when it came to editing. Once I had collated my clips and arranged them how I wished I set up my rough cut and uploaded it to the video sharing website, youtube. This is when I gathered audience feedback on how they felt with my recent progression and what they wish me to do to improve it.




Taking everything that I had learnt from making my main product I took this and followed the same theme with my ancillary texts, starting with the digipak. I began with typography as this is not something that I had yet used meaning that I had no previous guidelines to follow. For this I took the official typography for the original band and created my own using the same style. I then used photoshop to manipulate a number of pictures. I experimented with both black and white with silhouettes. I done this whilst still maintaining the conventions and key features of a digipak along with the indie rock genre.


Along with the digipak I also created another ancillary text, a promotional poster which would feature in a magazine of my indie rock genre. This was pretty simple as with my digipak I had already identified what typography and images I wished to use. All I had to do is apply the key features to the promotional poster and ensure the layout was suitable for my genre.


Throughout all of this work I have kept a running theme of black and white, keeping to the conventions of the indie rock genre. I have also consistently featured the band that I used in all of my work. I made sure to include them in everything as I feel this shows a strong link between all of my work and shows my consistent style that I have applied to each thing individually yet also as a whole.

No comments:

Post a Comment