20 Mar 2015

Evaluation Question 1

In what ways does your media product use, develop or challenge forms and conventions of real media products?

This prezi breifly explains what I have done to ensure that my music video follows the forms and conventions of the indie rock genre and how this relates to the industry itself and what they do.



I feel like I have kept the indie rock genre tone throughout my music video extremely well. This is because in the research stages of this task I managed my time to research genre seperately but also to carry on interlinking it throughout all stages of my research. I started by look at the settings, typically in an indie rock music video the settings are kept simple with the use of home made studios, cities, parks and remote unknown locations. I tried to replicate these locations as close as possible within reason of the low budget I was on. For this I took advantage of my beach hometown and shot some footage on the beach itself along with the local park. As well as this I created my own version of the home made studio in college. This enabled me to use all of the professional equipment that larger companies are able to use. I feel like the overall look of my video could be compared to Blink182's music video of 'First Date' although they are typically a rock band they do follow the same individual style that I was looking to achieve.



Here we can see the Blinks home made studio set up compared to my own. Although the difference in genre is recognisable I feel like I have successfully replicated the high standard that is shown through large professional companies on my own budget using resources around me.



As well as the band setting the narrative was also closely replicated to larger companies results. This was done using a range of locations in my local town.

I also found that the mise en scene is a critical factor to the overall video to represent the genre. I replicated the style of the band itself in the band members that I included in my music video through the use of props and costume.



The first image here is taken from the original band, the second is from the band I used in my filming. I think it is clear to see that I have replicated the same indie rock mise en scene. This is something I was able to do within my budget at the same high standard as other larger professional companies, both resulting in the same high standards.

When researching performance I found that this is where performers show their emotions the most and make the music video meaningful.




Here you can see two images of close ups during a lip sync in a music video. One is taken from a professional music video, the other from my own. I am extremely happy with the results as I feel like mine is to the same high standards as any other big time music company.

Camera angles and techniques in the indie rock genre can vary depending on the style, this helps express the flexibility of the genre and how conventions can be broken.






My camera techniques were planned using my storyboard then applied to the location on the day of the shoots. The band were shot from a range of angles to enable me to get the best result possible in the stages of editing. I learnt that this was the best to do as professionals ensure they have plenty of footage before collating it all into the editing software. I have taken this and applied it to my own work to keep the high professional standard that larger companies use.

With editing I kept this minimal as during the research stages of this project I discovered that a convention of the indie rock genre is to apply a black and white filter to the footage and occasionally a subtle fade at the end of the track. I applied this to my own work to ensure that the genre was clear and that my target audience were happy with the finished result.



This was the last stage in enabling me to present my genre in a way that matches that of the professionals who are working in the music industry.

My digipak and promotional poster have been made to show a running theme between the music video and the print tasks. This not only helps me to understand the marketing and promotional skills required for this industry but also helps me to visualise a package in which all elements are linked and able to be identified to a certain label/genre/band. I done this with the use of the black a white effects in images and videos.



Overall I feel like my music video and print tasks have been a complete success and I have been able to convey the professionalism and the same standard of results as large companies whilst developing and challenging the forms and conventions of real media products as well as representing the indie rock genre in a way that is positive, capturing this in all of my texts.

No comments:

Post a Comment